Thursday, January 8, 2009

Numbers, Numbers, Numbers!!!

A couple of nights ago my husband ans Alayna were playing a boxing game together and as they would knock someone down the "10" count would start. Ashlyn and I were in the other room and she began to count to 10 with the referee. It caught me so off guard. I had been working with her but we had only gotten to 4 and that was leaving out 3 quite often. We couldn't believe it when she got all the way to 10 all by herself. I grabbed my camera real quick and got a video of it. I hope you enjoy seeing our almost 2 year old count to 10.

This is a 5th grade math problem. This is not a trick question. This is a real math problem so don't say that a bus has no legs. There is no bus driver either so don't worry about counting those legs! That's all the help you get.
There are 7 girls in a bus.
Each girl has 7 backpacks.
In each backpack, there are 7 big cats.
For every big cat there are 7 little cats.
Question: How many legs are there in the bus?
It took me a little while to get the answer But I finally got it. Give it a try! Post your answers and I'll do the big reveal in a day or so!

9 comments:

Karla said...

I LOVE the video!!! Post MORE and MORE!!

I'm usually really good at these math problems - but this one has just made me mad. LOL! I had to have Andrew send me the answer!

janet anglin said...

Very good, Ashlyn!!! I'm so proud of you. As an educator, I can say that you're every teacher's dream. Keep up the good work, mom.

Unknown said...

Let's see:
7 girls x 2 legs each = 14 legs,
7 girls x 7 backpacks = 49 backpacks,
49 backpacks x 7 big cats = 343 big cats,
343 big cats x 4 legs each = 1,372 legs,
343 big cats x 7 little cats = 2,401 little cats,
2,401 little cats x 4 legs each = 9,604 legs.
Add all legs;
14 + 1,372 + 9,604 = 10990 legs

Fun

Video too sweet!

Anonymous said...

I agree with 10,990. I've done this before but I had to rework it.
Ashlyn counted to 5 while we were decorating. :) She is too cute. :D

Madison S. said...

Yes I agree with the above 10,990
And what is scary is some of our TAKS questions are just like this

Michelle said...

She is so cute! Forget the math girl, I'm horrible at word problems:)

Karen Prince said...

Cute video, she reminded me of Alayna when she shrugged her shoulders!
Okay, math has never been my best subject, even though I do accounting work...I do, however, have a trusty calculator by my side! I totally missed the 7 backpacks PER girl! Guess I am NOT smarter than a 5th grader! LOL!

Ron and Jerry Ann Guidroz said...

Too cute!!!!!

kathy said...

Ashlyn, you are so precious!
Mandy, were it not for this blog I would really miss out on so much more.
I know the girls are enjoying Grammy and Poppy being there (& you too) for a few days.
Again, thank you for deciding to start the blogspot.
After trying to call you/Ashlyn, then leaving a message ... I forgot to comment. lol
Love you ... Aunt Kathy