Monday, August 25, 2008

Treat Her Well

Dear world,

I bequeath to you today one little girl in a crisp dress , two twinkling eyes and a happy laugh that ripples all day long and a flash of shiny hair that bounces in the sun when she runs. I trust you’ll treat her well. She’s slipping out of the back yard of my heart this morning and skipping off down the street to her first day of school and never again will she be completely mine. Frail and proud she’ll wave her young and independent hand this morning and say “Good Bye” and walk with little lady steps to the school house. Now she’ll learn to stand in lines and wait by the alphabet for her name to be called. She’ll learn to tune her ears for the sounds of school bells and deadlines and she’ll learn to giggle and gossip and look to the ceiling in a disinterested way when the little boy across the isle sticks out his tongue at her. And now she’ll learn to be jealous and now she’ll learn how it feels to be hurt inside now she’ll learn how not to cry. No longer will she have time to sit on the front porch steps on a summer day and watch an ant scurry across the crack in the side walk. Nor will she have time to pop out of the bed with the dawn and kiss the lilac blooms in the morning dew. No, now she’ll worry about those important things. Things like grades, and which dress to wear and whose best friend is whose. The books and learning will replace the blocks and dolls. Now she’ll find new heroes. For 5 full years now, I’ve been her sage and Santa clause and pal and playmate and mother and friend. Now she’ll learn to share her worship with her teachers which is only right but no longer will I be the smartest greatest lady in the whole world. Today when that school bell rings for the first time she’ll learn what it means to be a member of a group with all of its privileges and disadvantages too. She’ll learn in time that proper young ladies do not laugh out loud or kiss dogs or keep frogs in pickle jars in bedrooms or even watch ants scurry across cracks in sidewalks in the summer. Today she’ll learn for the first time that all who smile at her are not her friends and I’ll stand at the front porch and watch her start out on that long lonely journey to becoming a woman. So world I bequeath to you today one little girl in a crisp dress with two twinkling eyes and a flash of hair that bounces in the sunlight when she runs. I trust you’ll treat her well.

This is not original with me I heard this on the radio about two years ago, my husband printed it off and we kept it for just this day! It sort of helped us in the whole mourning process...LOL.

Last night at church we had a special Back to School service, this was a very special for all the students and teacher as well as parents! There are a few pictures of the service.

This morning we left for the school around 8:00 they don't start until 8:20 and though we were ready a little earlier we didn't want to seem over anxious. Alayna was quite excited and acted as though she'd been in school all her life. She had to turn her little card to let the teacher know she was present, then find a table with a box of toys on it and play! She had already made a couple of friends before we left. For all of you who were so concerned about the parents we did okay. I held it all together until I left the room then a few tears did escape down my cheeks. I must admit we were one of the first in the line to pick her up this afternoon! She told us of all her adventures and all the fun of school, and yes she can't wait until tomorrow!

I hope all of you had a great first day as well and a great year to come! Here are the pictures, I told my husband that I didn't feel like I got enough. It's such a momentous in there life and I just didn't think I took enough pictures, He assured me I did!

9 comments:

Tracie Smith said...

Your words made me cry! I'm glad Alayna had a good day. I prayed for you this morning, Mandy. Now take some pics of her work when she brings it home. We have to stay updated on the art and tracing the letters!

Madison S. said...

Yes Mandy I agree with Sis. Smith take pictures of her work! One thing we did was put all weeks stuff on the fridge and each week we took a picture of the kids with the fridge. You just can't save every piece of art but Pictures save them well! You can also watch her progress! The only picture I did not see in your slide show is a formal picture with her teacher. You have all year to get this, but it is fun to have it at the beginning and the end you can see how much she has changed over the year. Of course with a few tears along the way. As I told Bro. Andrew when I called to check on you I even shed a few tears this morning it never gets easy just a little easier LOL

janet anglin said...

Mandy,
I'm so glad things went well today for Alayna and y'all! If it makes you feel any better, I had a 7th grader shedding a few tears herself. I know it's hard letting go, but trust me....she's in very good hands at Jefferson.

iluv2prshim said...

Ahhh...I remember those days. They do go by so swiftly though. Alayna looked so cute in her new school outfit. :)

Michelle said...

What a cutie! I hope she had a wonderful first day. I love the poem!

Gene Holley said...

Alayna, congratulations on the your first day! You looked like an "old pro" at this school thing! I'm proud of you.

Linda Elms said...

Ok! I was doing fine until I saw the pictures! Oh, how I wish I could have been there for the "Back to School Service" AND Alayna's first day! Love you all!

Ron and Jerry Ann Guidroz said...

Wonderful post Mandy! Congratulations Alayna on your first day at school. Hope you have a wonderful, blessed school year. You are a lovely little lady and your sister is a cute too.

Joseph James said...

Hey... welcome back to the wonderful world of blogging... we missed you! (I just happen to check the blog and whadya-know?)

I think I must have broken your camera lol... if I look that bad you can never take another picture of me again! lol