Saturday, August 23, 2008

Alayna Meets Her Teacher - Mrs. Herron

It's official, Alayna is going to school. Andrew and I went to the school on Wednesday evening to meet Alayna's Kindergarten teacher and find out all the parent stuff. Then on Thursday night it was Alayna's turn to go.
When we walked in the classroom for the first time Alayna was a little ahead of me and was just drinking it in. I excitedly said "Alayna don't you love it?!!!" No sooner had the words hit the air that I felt the tears. I didn't even know they were there, they just started to flow. Thankfully there were no other people in the room at the time except Mrs. Herron who quickly pointed me to the Kleenex and reassured me that I would still be doing this the day she went off to college. It is such big thing just knowing that she is old enough to go to school. I am not sad for her to go I feel she's plenty old enough and prepared for it, I think it's just accepting her age in such a big way that's getting me.
I took a few pictures in the room that night. Mrs. Herron had a checklist of things we had to do in the room such as; Find the bathroom, Place school supplies in her cubbie..... so on.
Lawst week Mrs. Herron sent a letter to Alayna with a picture of an apple tree, the instructions were to put an apple on the tree each day until they are all filled and then we'll know it's time for Alayna to go to school. Of course she loved to get the mail, and she has faithfully put the apples on the tree. Guess what there's only one left!!!! That means Monday is the big day!
I hope all of those who are starting school in the next few days have a great year and enjoy the time in life where they are. Growing up I heard the adults always say things like, Oh if I could just go back to the days of school how wonderful that would be, or I'd give anything to be back in school. I thought then they were crazy and I still do today, but I do understand a little more what they meant. I think as children in school we don't realize how wonderful life is for the most part, to be a complete dependant on others. Back then your biggest concern was if you forgot your homework or not, not if you had enough money to pay the bills this month. As you grow and gain privileges in life you also take on many more responsibilities. I think this is the part they were talking about they longed for the days of less responsibilities and the consequence of losing some privileges was well worth it.
As Andrew and I walked through the halls on Wednesday night We breathed in that certain smell and heard our feet echoing in the halls as only school halls can echo, I looked at him and said I am soooo glad I'm not starting school again. I hope you find yourself content in the place you are whatever that may be. You may be dwelling in this place sort of temporarily or living more permanently but whatever the case enjoy the time you have in the place you are.
HMMM how did I end up here? I think this is the point you sometimes push the back space and cut it back to what you were planning to write in the beginning, but this time I'm leaving it all. Here's some pictures of all the things I've talked about.
Oh and if you think of it on Monday say a little prayer for all of us mother's of brand new Kindergartners! Please! =)

12 comments:

Michelle said...

Yeah Alayna, have a great first day of school! I saw she has the first cubby, that's why you name your child a name that starts with the letter "A"! Ha! It's so hard watching them grow up, sometimes I wish they would stay little forever, but I know I will enjoy every stage of their lives!

Christina said...

Well she looks like she is definatley ready and excited! Hope the changes come easily for all of you and she has a wonderful school year.

kathy said...

WOW! Aunt Kathy is sooo excited for you Alayna, but a little sad thinking how old I'm getting! 8) I know you'll do great in Kindergarten!

I enjoyed the post (I can relate), but have been unable to view the slideshow. It gives a message that it's empty. You can bet I'll keep checking.

Love to all of you.

Anonymous said...

Jenna started on Thursday as well. I know she will love kindergarten. It is such a fun time! Enjoy it before all the hard homework comes! Give her a great big hug from us (Aunt Veta as she called me at camp)! Love you!

Madison S. said...

Oh Mandy I had a hard time reading this post with out tears. I remember the day my babies started. I cried again and again. And guess what Alyana's teacher is right it doesn't get any easier. My 3rd grader and 2nd grader met their teachers on Thursday night and I still had to fight back tears. Just get involved at school and it makes the day's easier and a lot of fun. My kids still want me to help in their classes. I will be shedding a few tears on Monday with you. At least Alyana has not asked to ride her bike or walk to school yet! They think they are soooo big

janet anglin said...

Where do I begin? I can write a book about the FIRST day of school, but I'll keep it brief. This is where it all begins....kindergarten! Mrs. Herron will lay the foundation for Alayna's future, and I'm sure she'll be just fine. Jefferson is an outstanding school, and I know y'all will be pleased there!!! Have fun, Alayna!

Lynda said...

How exciting!!! I always loved the first days of school. I will be sure and say a prayer for you on Monday.

Tracie Smith said...

Wow! Mandy, I can remember 17 years ago when Redonia began Kindergarten. Now Redonia is a Kindergarten teacher! I agree with Alayna's teacher, the tears will not stop! They aren't always sad tears either. I completely understand. I will think of you Monday. Love you!

Linda Elms said...

Alayna, Papa and I are so happy for you! You are going to do AWESOME in school! I can't wait to talk to you on Monday after school so I can hear all about your day. I've already prayed for you and your teacher. I know God is going to be with you as you start your new adventure in life! I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!!!!

Andrew and Mandy, now that I've written Alayna, I can tell you that I am "happy and sad"! It's so hard watching her grow up so FAST! I know you'll be fine, but I will be praying for you on Monday, also! LOVE YOU!

I LOVE THE PICTURES!

Karen Prince said...

How exciting! She will be the cutest little girl there, we all know she is already the SMARTEST!!!
Hope she has a wonderful year.
Love y'all.

Ron and Jerry Ann Guidroz said...

I can't believe you have a child starting kindergtarten. It seems like it was yesterday you got married.:) You all are wonderful parents and she is a beautiful, smart little girl.(just ask her grandmothers)We will pray for all the mothers and children tomorrow. Love to you all...

Keith and Carla said...

They do grow up too fast!!! Alayna will do great, although the first day is a "little" hard on Mom (& Dad).