Thursday, May 17, 2007

Bible Quizzers are STARS!!!

We went to a bible quiz tournament a couple weeks ago, I intended to come right home and blog about it, but you know... Well I am blogging now and it is still just as amazing to me now as it was then. I know there are a lot of pictures but I wanted to capture it all.
These kids have learned somewhere in the neighborhood of 170 scriptures. they deserve a hand for that. Their parents deserve an even bigger hand. They spend time each day and learn new verses then they have to quote all the ones they already know. Needless to say they do sacrifice some playtime. I heard a few of the parents saying how difficult it is to get their children to quote at times, they even resort to punishment. That sounds terrible at first but hear me out. Andrew and I were talking about it on the way home and I said "I don't want to force Alayna to learn the scriptures, no sooner had I made that statement than I was reminded of a message Bro Standford had preached. He talked about how we will force our kids to learn to read and do math problems etc. How much more important is the Word of God. I am so proud of these parents and kids they were awesome. When we finally got to the championship, I was a nervous wreck. My mom always helps with the time or anything else she can do to keep her mind occupied. They tell you not to make eye contact with the kids because you might distract them or mess up their train of thought. I was trying so hard not to look but I was dying to know if they were going to get it right or not. We had so much fun and they won Second place, pretty impressive since this is their first year to be involved in quizzing. I would love to see a quiz team on Wichita Falls, I know we would have an incredible team. I don't know if I could be involved though...I looked at Andrew at one point during one of the quizzes when it was down to the wire and I said "what if that was Alayna up there? I couldn't take it. Too much excitement!!!"

Create Your Own

13 comments:

Christina said...

Well it is awsome how well this team has done this year! I'm just so proud of any child and parent that has put forth the effort in learning the Scripture. There have been many times we have been hard on Haiden about learning his verses, but I honestly don't think he has ever looked at it as us forcing him to do this because he loves to go to the tournaments. I believe he looks at the tournaments for his reward. He has never made any comment about not wanting to do Bible Quizzing. I believe that a child will be just as excited about quizzing as a parent gets!

Lynda said...

Bible Quizing is AWESOME!!! Our best family memories are of bible quizing tournaments. Maybe God will lay it on someones heart to coach a team here in Wichita FAlls.

Mandy said...

Thanks for your comments! The whole Bible Quizzing thing is amazing. Maybe God will open the door for Wichita Falls to be a part, I jst hope I'm brave enough to step through.=)

Keith and Carla said...

I have never seen this in action, but would love to someday. I think it is awesome!

Karla said...

Awww! I miss being a part of these this year! It was always amazing to me! It's great that their team got second place....WOW! It is definitely a big commitment. Congratulations!

Michelle said...

Congrats to the team, they must have worked so hard. There is nothing better memorized than God's word!

Linda Elms said...

Congratulations to Cameron and Trent and to all who took the time to help them learn! I know you are all proud of the "team".

Madison S. said...

No better way to help instill the word of God into a childs heart. And make it fun learning! Parents should always do this first at home but why not make it fun and challenging! I would love to see my kids involved in quizing. I know someone who would be awesome at being the coach. She just needs a extra nudge!

Anonymous said...

Bible quizzing truly is awesome!!! It is very hard work; many meaningful things in life are hard work, but the rewards are well worth it.

It's really exciting watching the Junior quizzers! Congratulations to Cameron and the Deweyville team for their 2nd place win!

Mandy I love those pictures. I've not seen much of Landon, as well as Alayna, or had the priviledge to get to really konw them. Their personalities seem to really come alive in those pics. I love that you shared those along with the others.

Perhaps if there is someone in your church you feel would do a good job with coaching a team, but they aren't so much familiar with it, invite them to a tournament and see what happens.

Love you lots ... Aunt Kathy

Anonymous said...

Oops! Didn't correct my spelling of privilege. Oh well ... lol

Mandy said...

Hey Aunt Kathy,
I was wondering where you have been. I love you and I've missed your comments lately.
love ya!!!!

Sheree said...

To this day Joel credits Bible quizzing with his knowledge of the scripture and look how many years later and he can still quote it. I hope someone will take on this burden.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't be more proud of our first yr. teams!! I have prayed for a long time that someone in our church would get the burden for Bible Quizzing. Thank God they did. The parents have worked hard to teach, encourage and coach their children. This yr's. material was very difficult, as many coaches and parents have expressed. And to think, our kids have come home with a trophy from every quiz !! They are the best in my book. We are very proud of them. Thanks for spotlighting them in your blog, Mandy. Looking forward to a granddaughter being involved. love ya, Mom